Bespoke Software: Advantages and Disadvantages for Business
Customized software is a product written specifically for a certain customer. It differs from ready-made software by being fully in line with the customer’s requirements and his business goals.
There are a lot of available solutions on the market to complete almost any task, but their functionality is often too varied. Some companies need to meet specific needs, and for this purpose, they need individual development.
How it works?
We have provided the definition of bespoke software above. Now, let’s take a closer look. In plain language, the interaction algorithm with the bespoke software development looks like this:
- Analysis of customer’s requirements;
- Proposal formation and approval (work plan);
- Prototyping and design;
- Quality testing;
- Product launch;
- Support and maintenance.
An important reason that companies decide to use a customized software development service center for their strategic vision is that in the short-term, the use of a currently available finished product is clearly a more advantageous option. However, if we talk about the long-term, then this characteristic of customized software as a complete satisfaction for the organization needs, eventually, fully pays for the development costs.
Bespoke Software Advantages
Quality software can improve the effieciency of the business process and provide the company with unique competitive advantages. This is very important in the context of a highly competitive and dynamic modern economy.
Here are 7 main advantages of customized software:
- High efficiency. Even companies operating in the same niche do business differently. Their internal processes are usually different. The product, which is designed exclusively for your needs, doesn’t contain any unnecessary functions, and it allows you to quickly achieve the desired results.
- Usability. As noted above, custom programs don’t have unnecessary functions. This speeds up the work and allows you to optimize processes. In addition, the absence of unnecessary components accelerates training the staff responsible for working with it. Another reason why this is convenient is the integration option. If the company used to operate with several ready-made solutions, now, the developers can integrate them into one system without losing data.
- Flexibility and scalability. Ready-made solutions are usually targeted either at a small companies or at large enterprises. It’s difficult to find a middle ground, especially if you don’t know what features you might need in the near future. As the business develops, bespoke software can be adapted to changing needs. Another important point: You can easily increase the number of the system’s users without slowing down its speed.
- Long-term benefit. If you use a product with a license fee for each connected user, your own development will be especially beneficial for you. Even after several months, with increasing staff, the savings on licensing fees can be very high.
- Security. If someone hacks a user account, the information for each customer will be in danger. Because cracking the individual system requires a targeted attack, there is less public information about its functionality, and it becomes much more difficult to do that.Moreover, you can reach an agreement with the developers on additional security measures and create a higher level of protection.
- Independence. The intellectual property for the product belongs to you. You are not tied to a specific supplier who can change his plans anytime. If you aren’t satisfied with the service level, you can change the developers and find more suitable performers, as you are the product’s owner.
- Competitive advantages. Since you use a customized solution, this can give you a number of competitive advantages, such as increasing efficiency, increasing employee and customer loyalty, and improving other business-relevant factors. The introduction of exclusive innovations in the product for internal use can help to stay one step ahead of the competitors.
Bespoke Software Disadvantages
Now that we have discussed the advantages, we should talk about the drawbacks of developing a custom software. There are only a few, but you should know about them.
- The initial costs are higher. You will need to discuss technical requirements, business logic, as well as invest in development. Return on investment is expected only in the medium to long term.
- Development takes time. Depending on the software complexity, the product’s creation may take several months or even years.
- Not for everyone. Before you start developing it, you need to determine the most important functions for you. These functions should be available in the product. Then, you should contact an expert to estimate the cost of their development. Sometimes it is too complicated or expensive, which makes buying a ready solution a better option.
Examples of Bespoke Software
Individual software solutions can be used in a variety of business niches, from retail to scientific developments. Based on our many years of experience in this market, we can conclude that most of these products belong to one of the following categories:
- Content Management System (CMS);
- Business Process Automation System;
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM);
- Automated Invoicing;
- Company-Facing / Customer-Facing Web Portals;
- ERP Software Systems.
These are the six basic types of custom software that customers most often need to have developed. It is useless to explain once again that the tasks that are solved with their help by business are very important for the enterprise’s success as a whole.
To Sum It All Up
Of course, using a ready-made commercial product is a simpler option as it’s cheaper and less labor-intensive. However, it is almost impossible to find a solution that would fully meet your company’s needs. A large number of unnecessary functions are more likely to slow down the work rather than increase its efficiency.
Custom software is your business’ investment in the future, so the time and money spent on its development will certainly pay off in the long term. Moreover, it is possible to get a real competitive advantage that will give you the opportunity to consolidate your positions in the market.
If you are faced with the task of creating a software product for your business’ needs, and you are in search of a reliable technology partner, you can always contact our company. Lvivity team is a home to experienced specialists that are able to solve the most complex tasks requiring a unique approach and competence.
Just contact us, and we will advise you on all issues.
Digital Marketing Manager at LvivityOur services