The Information Technology area is a rather young industry for Ukraine. However, over 25 years of experience, companies working in this sector have accumulated plenty of experience and gained a good reputation in the international market.
This economy sector continues to show high growth dynamics (about 20% annually), develop, and deepen cooperation with customers from all over the world.
In this article, we have collected facts about the Ukrainian IT industry, which will be interesting for you to know.
1. At the end of 2021, the number of specialists employed in the IT industry reached 250 thousand people. This is 24% more than a year earlier.
2. 20,000 new specialists graduate from Ukrainian universities every year.
3. 53,000 employees work in the Top 50 largest IT companies in Ukraine. 42,000 of them are technical specialists.
4. 67% of all Ukrainian IT professionals live in Kyiv, Kharkiv, and Lviv.
5. More than 5,000 technology companies operate in Ukraine technology market in total.
6. In 2021, the software development sector in the country grew by 24%.
7. Information and communication technologies are the third largest industry, accounting for 20% of all Ukrainian service exports.
8. Three Ukrainian startups have already achieved success at the unicorn level, meaning that they received an estimated $1 billion. The latest of them was Grammarly, a company developing and delivering text grammar correction services.
9. More than a hundred companies from the Fortune 500 list resort to Ukrainian IT companies’ services.
10. The United States and Western European countries are the main target markets for Ukrainian technology companies.
11. Lviv is the second largest IT hub in Ukraine. The city hosts more than 400 companies employing more than 24,000 professionals.
12. According to Startup Ranking, Ukraine ranked 43rd in 2018 by the number of startups.
13. In January 2020, Google claimed to open its R&D development center in Ukraine. It will be the third in Europe for the corporation.
14. Besides, such renowned companies as Samsung, Amazon, Oracle, NEC, and Boeing have their R&D centers in our country as well.