Interesting Mobile App Statistics to Help You in 20184 min read
Do you want to develop your own mobile app? Then read this article as it offers interesting statistics which might prove useful.
A smartphone is a device a lot of people use every day. This is one of the best methods to communicate with the target audience because it is always within your reach.
The mobile ecosystem is one of the largest markets in the world. Apps have long ceased to be a tool solely used by large companies. Today, mobile apps are very important for the success of any business. They are also a great opportunity for developers to get the most out of their product.
Here are some interesting statistics on mobile applications and devices, which will make you look at this market from a different angle.
- 42% of all purchases on Black Friday in 2017 were made using mobile devices (Localytics.com).
- It is expected that by 2019 the cost of mobile advertising in the U.S. will reach 70% of all advertising budgets online (MarketingLand).
- 89% of mobile ads are viewed through mobile applications, the remaining 11% of the ads are viewed on the websites (Smart Insights).
- The most commonly used screen diagonal on a smartphone is 5 inches. The most common screen resolution is 1280×720 pixels (DeviceAtlas).
- There were 197 billion downloads of mobile apps in 2017. In 2021, this figure will reach 350 billion (Statista).
- Facebook was the most popular mobile app both on iOS and Android devices in 2017 (comScore).
- More than 1,300 new apps appear on Google Play every day. As of December 2017, the total number of apps on Google Play has exceeded 3.5 million (App Brain).
- There are 498,000 app publishers in the App Store and 968,000 app publishers on Google Play (AppAnnie).
- The following graph shows how many apps people use daily in different countries of the world. The leader is Brazil where people use 12 apps per day (TechCrunch):
- Android became the most popular operating system in the world among internet users in 2017, overtaking Windows – 37.93% against 37.91% respectively (StatCounter).
- Top 3 app categories that people use the most are Entertainment and Communication (20%), Music (18%), and Multimedia and Games (10%).
- About 30% of the total number of mobile users, who stop using the app, are ready to return if offered a discount. 24% of mobile users will use the app again if offered exclusive offers or bonuses (Thinkwithgoogle).
- 90% of mobile users in the U.S. use their devices with the activated location service. This is good news for marketers who use geo-targeting campaigns in their work (GeoMarketing).
- More than 50% of smartphone users check notifications on their devices in the morning, immediately after they wake up (Betahaus).
- Adults in the U.S. spend 3 hours 15 minutes a day using their smartphone. This is almost 1 hour longer, compared to the data in 2013 (eMarketer).
- As of March 2017, 42% of small businesses in the U.S. had their own mobile app. It is expected that this number will increase to 67% in 2018 (Clutch).
- The average order value of purchases made by users of iOS devices is $114, compared to Android at $95 (MediaPost).
- Every second app user uses the app to search for information about goods and services, business, product, or to make a purchase (Scilled).
- By the end of 2016, only 46% of the world’s population had smartphones. This is a sign that the mobile revolution is only about to begin (Forrester).
- 77% of Americans own smartphones, compared to 35% in 2013 (Pew Research Center).
- People around the world spent 900 billion hours using mobile applications in 2017, which is 150 billion hours larger than the figures recorded during the previous year (App Annie).
- Users spend 50% of the time on reading media accounts for mobile apps. [Comscore]
- Most people use their smartphones to check e-mail more often than to make calls.
- Five of the most popular iOS games include Candy Crush Saga, Candy Crush Soda Saga, Golf Clash, Clash Royale, and Clash of Clans.
- More than 40,000 new apps appear on the App Store every month.
- 39% of smartphone owners said social network apps were the most frequently used ones. [The Manifest]
- 63% of the mobile gaming fans’ audience are women, and 37% are men. [Tapjoy]
- The highest-grossing mobile games in the US (average income per day) as of April 2018. [Statista]
According to these statistics, it can be concluded that people are much more likely to use their smartphones, both for entertainment and for work, than desktop devices. This trend will be definitely gaining momentum.
If you plan to use a mobile app to develop your business or create a start-up targeted at mobile users – it is time to take the first steps in this direction now.
Digital Marketing Manager at LvivityOur services